Who should attend
- Professionals interested in obtaining a credential from the second oldest college in the nation and one of only eight "Public Ivy" institutions in the nation
- High potentials who are seeking a stronger foundation in current business theory and practice
- Leaders who want to expand their knowledge in different functional areas
- Technical professionals making the transition into management positions
- Entrepreneurs who are seeking to develop their knowledge and understanding of business operations
About the course
The Certificate in Business Management is designed for working professionals who want a cross-functional understanding of successful business operations. This course provides foundational business principles to broaden your professional skills and help you think and lead strategically within your division or across the organization. You will be introduced to five core topics associated with an MBA degree and will learn the "how" and "why" of business operations. You will leave with key concepts, tools, and techniques to help develop sustainable business strategies for your organization.
A full day will be devoted to each topic. Participants may register for daily sessions rather than the entire week. A certificate will only be awarded if the entire week is completed.
This course will focus on the following topics:
Day 1: Effective Communication
- Executive Presence
- Your Personal Brand
- Verbal and Nonverbal Communication
- Storytelling and Persuasion
- Communication Strategy
Day 2: Managerial Accounting
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Planning and Budgeting
- Ratios and Analytical Tools for Decision Making
- Financial Control Systems
Day 3: Business Strategy
- What is Strategy?
- Environmental and Industry Analysis
- Internal and Situational Analysis
- Business Level Strategies, Core Competencies and Benchmarking
- Leadership Ethics
- Strategy vs. Behavior, what's the difference?
- Developing Tools to Understand and Improve Decision Making
Day 4: Operational Effectiveness
- Process Flow Analysis and Improvement
- Waste Prevention Strategies
- Managing Supply Chain Networks
- Supplier Relationships and Risk Management
Day 5: Executive Leadership
- Managing Up and Down within the Organization
- Influencing without Authority
- Developing your Personal Leadership Style
- Leading vs. Managing
- Leadership and Change Management
The Certificate in Business Management provides an overview of key topics required to enhance business competencies and successfully tackle business challenges. By completing this program you will:
- Gain new credentials to enhance your career potential
- Increase your business skills and techniques and begin using them immediately in your organization
- Have a stronger understanding of best practices for cross-functional development and business operations
- Expand your professional network by strengthening your personal brand
- Increase your confidence as a leader in today's business environment
Professor Bob Williams holds the position of Clinical Lecturer at the Mason School of Business at the College of William & Mary. His areas of expertise are leadership, management, and marketing. While at William & Mary, he has taught in these subject areas for the top-ranked undergraduate...
Ken White, Ph.D. is Associate Dean for MBA & Executive Programs at the Raymond A. Mason School of Business at William & Mary. He leads the School's Full-Time, Flex, Executive and Online MBA programs; the Graduate Career Management Center; the MBA Admissions Office; MBA Student Affairs; an...
With more than thirty years of financial management experience, Rucker has managed high performance teams within both domestic and global businesses and businesses of over $100 million in revenue. She has provided leadership in business growth through both internal initiatives and acquisitions.
Hector H. Guerrero: PhD, University of Washington; BS Electrical Engineering, University of Texas; MBA, University of Texas. Dr. Guerrero is a professor and former Director of the Resident MBA Program at William & Mary's Raymond A. Mason School of Business in Williamsburg, Virginia. He teach...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.