About the course
Learn to harness the power of data Today, organizations compete on the quality of data and analytics. UC Irvine’s Certificate in Business Data and Analytics provides you with a better understanding of how data can lead you to action.
The four modules, competing with Analytics, Web and Mobile Analytics, Data Mining Methods and From Methods to Application, are designed to provide you with the confidence to ask the right questions, parse large quantities of structured and unstructured data and translate your analytics insights into actions.
Earn your certificate in just two days and position your organization to be more competitive by putting the vast amount of data to work.
- World-class Merage School faculty who are thought leaders and experts in business information systems
- Full two-day program with two interactive modules per day
- Program-specific Educational Container website enhances the learning experience
- Valuable networking opportunities throughout the program
Competing with Analytics
- Overview of Big Data: What is Big Data and why do we care?
- Key learnings and best practices from successful firms
- Identifying opportunities to leverage Big Data and overcome common challenges
Data Mining Methods
- Overview of dashboards
- Data pre-processing; testing and training data
- Explore Weka and its capabilities (open source software) hands on learning
- Predictive analytics: classification using decision trees
Web, Mobile, and Social Analytics
- Social analytics: customer sentiments, engagement, and conversion
- Clickstream and search engine analytics
- A/B testing and experimentations
From Methods to Application
- Understanding the process of data analysis
- The differentiation between statistical applications and techniques
- Understanding which data analytics tool is right for your organization
"Dedicated Program Website" - Interactive Resource
Students engage materials and each other through a web-based Educational Container that enhances the learning experience before, during, and after each module. Pre-readings, extended reference libraries, videos, and additional materials are available around the clock to students. Interactions with peers, faculty, executive practitioners, and program staff are enhanced by chat, blog and posting capabilities. During the program, students maximize the value of their learning through interactive dialogue and group activities. After the program has ended, students have ongoing access to the full multimedia reference library, enhancing their ability to apply their learning in the service of enterprise initiatives as well as their own career development.
Pre-Work (2-4 hours)
- Introductory video
- Learning objectives
- Pre-module assignments
- Online quiz
Interactive Classroom Learning (4 hours)
- Discussions and Q and A opportunities that promote class interaction
- Faculty illustrating software and participants learning by doing in-class
- Resources to enable transfer of learning to the workplace
- Reference Library
- Topical and timely articles
- Optional online chats and discussions
Vidyanand ("VC") Choudhary is a professor of information systems and is an authority on versioning, pricing, quality, and competitive strategy for technology products. His research interests are in the economics of information systems; business impact of analytics; use of recommender systems and ...
Sanjeev Dewan is a professor of information systems at the UCI Paul Merage School of Business and is the Faculty Director of the Master of Science in Business Analytics program. Prior to joining UCI in Fall 2001, he served on the faculties of the business schools at the University of Washington, ...
Padhraic Smyth is a Professor at the University of California, Irvine, in the Department of Computer Science with a joint appointment in Statistics, and is also Director of the Center for Machine Learning and Intelligent Systems at UC Irvine. His research interests include machine learning, data ...
Vijay Gurbaxani is the Taco Bell Professor of Information Systems and Computer Science and Director of the Center for Digital Transformation (CDT) at the UCI Paul Merage School of Business. His research, teaching and consulting interests are at the nexus of business strategy and information techn...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.