Who should attend
This program is designed for promising executives (EX 1 and 2 or equivalent) in departments and agencies with a security and intelligence mandate, the program will expand executives’ frame of reference in order to prepare them for positions of greater responsibility and to facilitate transitions into senior leadership roles in the Canadian security and intelligence community.
About the course
Canada and its domestic and international partners face a complex array of challenges in the security and intelligence domains. Strong personal, organizational and strategic leadership will be needed in the coming years to ensure Canada is prepared for these challenges, and able to make the right assessment on priority needs and effective means of meeting them. The Canadian Security and Intelligence Leadership Program is designed to enhance the skills of those who will be providing leadership in the next ten to fifteen years.
- Engage with Stakeholders and Practitioners
Through a variety of highly-participative learning methods, engage and work collaboratively with stakeholders and practitioners with a diversity of perspectives and experience on critical and evolving Security & Intelligence (S&I) issues such as: cyber in a changing world, community and stakeholder engagement, and enterprise security and risk management. Not only do participants have the opportunity to examine the challenges facing S&I leaders in these areas, but also to identify concrete leadership strategies to address them.
- A Future-Oriented Program
Successful leaders have a never-ending strategic focus on what needs to be created to bring possibilities to life. As a future-oriented program, CSILP develops a possibility mindset that empowers leaders to achieve positive system and organizational change, work effectively through teams, and inspire their organization to achieve creative goals.
- Build a Long-Lasting Network
Become part of a community that draws on the extensive experience of program participants and alumni. In the classroom and at alumni events, participants have significant opportunities to share their experiences, expand their network, and build the trust and support they need going forward in their career.
- Leaders Teaching Leaders
Learn from respected S&I leaders as they share their leadership stories, challenges, successes, and strategies. All of our guests bring relevant experience and engage participants on the issues facing S&I leaders today and into the future. Participants gain insight into past and developing challenges, and how experienced leaders move from problems to solutions.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to provide strategic advice to decision-makers
- How enduring issues in security and intelligence may unfold in the future
- How experienced S&I leaders deal with current and anticipated challenges
- How to use internal and external partnerships to share information across organizational boundaries
- How to anticipate critical issues and respond to crises
- How to build personal and organizational resilience
- How to understand the leadership challenges of the changing cyber world
- How to deal with the legal and ethical issues in S&I leadership
- Strategies for maintaining a positive mindset when experiencing disagreement and conflict.
- Strategies for leading in complex systems.
- Methods for leveraging contradictions to increase stakeholder support and policy sustainability.
- Principles and strategies for leading change.
- Strategies for developing and managing talent.
James Clemens is an accomplished leadership coach and project consultant specializing in organisational culture change. He has over a decade of professional experience in executive leadership development and organisational effectiveness. Prior to becoming a management consultant, James was a mana...
Greg Fyffe served in ADM positions in Solicitor General, Citizenship and Immigration, and the Privy Council Office, where he was Executive Director of the Intelligence Assessment Secretariat (2000-2008). After retiring from the Public Service he was a senior fellow with the Advanced Leadership Pr...
Susan Munn has extensive experience in investigations which includes national security, intelligence, operations and program/policy development from her twenty year RCMP career. For 12 years, she served as the senior security executive leading comprehensive risk portfolios for multi?billion dolla...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.