Who should attend
This course is ideal for anyone seeking an in-depth understanding of the Home Interiors & Lifestyle retail industry, and would suit people working in retail who want to progress, or product designers and makers who want to start selling their creations through retail channels.
About the course
The dynamic Home Interiors & Lifestyle retail category is growing fast and is constantly changing in response to evolving consumer trends. Skillful buyers and merchandisers drive this growth by working with suppliers to bring consumers fresh choices, in products ranging from furniture and lighting to textiles and kitchenware.
This course will give you an overview of the tools and strategies used in the industry, and is ideal if you are working in retail, or have a product design, textiles or interior design background. You will learn from an industry expert, through real case studies, practical projects and lively class discussion. The course will help you understand the interiors customer, develop an eye for interior trends, and learn how to develop and sell a range of interior and homeware products.
- The changing face of the homewares retail industry
- The buying and merchandising function
- Customer profiling
- Trade shows and inspiration
- Competitive shops and strategy
- Trend and design concepts
- Range planning and building
- Brands and supplier relationships
- Visual merchandising tips: in-store space and flow
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of:
- The key elements of the role of a buyer and merchandiser
- The buying process – why some retailers succeed and some don't
- How fashion and design trends influence the home
- Brand identity – branded homewares versus bespoke products
- What a range plan is, how it works
- Customer profiling
- Decision making and problem solving within a competitive industry
Ruth has a retail career spanning more than 20 years as a Home Interiors & Seasonal buyer for High street department store House of Fraser & luxury brand Fortnum & Mason where she was involved in the high profile refurbishment & restructure for their Tercentenary. Highly skilled ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.