Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Audit practitioners from Small and Medium-sized Accounting Practices (SMPs)
About the course
The use and importance of fair value measurement has been increasing in today’s financial reporting environment. Audits of fair value measurement are demanding and challenging because valuations typically involve significant professional judgment, inputs and estimates adopted by management or third-party valuation professionals.
Given the strong emphasis on fair value measurement in current times, and its significant impact on financial statements, audit practitioners may encounter business valuation issues and challenges. It is therefore imperative for audit practices today to ensure that sound processes are in place and resources are appropriately managed to handle valuation related matters pertaining to financial reporting requirements.
Taking a risk management approach, this programme created jointly by NTU, Savills and ISCA:
- provides guidance on the best practices and key processes for a business valuation practice
- is specially curated for Small and Medium-sized Accounting Practices (SMPs) to enhance and equip them with the necessary skill sets and competencies required to effectively set up and manage a business valuation practice
- enables SMPs to better support their existing audit processes, and to contemplate offering a new advisory service to clients, if they so desire.
You will learn the practical aspects of setting up a business valuation practice with proper risk management, technical and business processes in place. Some key issues and challenges faced by practitioners in managing a business valuation practice will also be discussed:
- Business valuation profession in Singapore and the regulatory developments.
- Business valuation eco-system and the standards setters.
- Financial reporting standards (FRS) and international valuation standards (IVS).
- Competency framework and professional membership obligations (PMO).
- IVS framework, general and asset standards.
- How to organise and use data from different sources to solve problems
- Building analytical solutions: case studies and practical examples
- Role of business valuer in financial reporting environment.
- Business combinations and purchase price allocation.
- Valuation of intangible assets.
- Impairment testing.
Day 4 - Risk management and key processes of business valuation practice.
- Practice management workflow.
- Documentation and working papers.
Head of Business Valuation and Advisory, Southeast Asia, Savills Founding Chairman, Institute of Valuers and Appraisers of Singapore Adjunct Associate Professor, Nanyang Business School, NTU Eric Teo is the Head of Business Valuation and Advisory, Southeast Asia at Savills and is an adjunct asso...
Patricia Tan M.S. is an associate professor of accounting at the Nanyang Business School, NTU. She has a PhD Degree in Accounting from the University of British Columbia, and is a Chartered Accountant of Singapore. Prior to joining academia, Patricia worked as an external auditor in one of the in...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.