Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Only Legal Officers (OLOs) who want to grow their management / leadership skills and enhance their executive team contribution
- In-house counsel serving as specialists within large legal departments, who desire broader and more varied skills development in management and leadership
- Senior Counsel who would like to move to the executive level
- New to in-house counsel working in a small or large legal department and requiring external training and development
- Mid-level in-house counsel who want to move to the next career level and require broader management and leadership development
- External law firm lawyers who would like to move to an in-house role
About the course
Learn today. Lead tomorrow.
Explore the unique challenges of those who strive to be recognized as strategic business partners within their organizations. You will develop the ability to make more informed decisions, apply your legal knowledge to move your organization forward strategically, and successfully navigate organizational dynamics.
The Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA) and the Rotman School of Management have partnered to create the Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel. The first program of its kind, successful completion of all three phases will provide graduates with the designation of Certified In-House Counsel – Canada (CIC.C).
The Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel provides an overview of the essential knowledge and skills required by those who strive to be recognized as strategic business partners within their organizations. Participants explore the unique challenges of effective leadership in today's complex organizational environment and develop the perspectives and skills to become effective leaders in their own right.
Through a variety of learning methods including case studies, simulations, lectures, group work and class discussions, participants develop the skills required to become a key business resource in their organization – able to advance the business while maintaining the balance of being the company's legal expert.
The program will combine the leading edge management knowledge from Rotman faculty with the in-house experience of senior General Counsel from across Canada.
On completing this program, you will be able to:
- Make an impact on your business’ strategic decisions
- Successfully navigate organizational dynamics
- Manage work relationships more effectively through communication and collaboration
- Balance your professional responsibilities as in-house counsel with broader organizational leadership responsibilities
- Make more informed decisions by learning to use financial tools and resources
- Apply your legal knowledge to help move your organization forward in a strategic fashion
- Understand your personal leadership style
- Lead and manage change more effectively
This program is comprised of a face to face learning component as well as several legal knowledge application courses that are delivered online. The face to face component consists of three three-day modules offered over the course of a calendar year at the Rotman School. The online courses are self-paced and can be completed during the course of the entire Program. Participants must successfully complete all components of the Program in order to be eligible to receive the Certified In House Counsel (CIC.C) designation. The designation is awarded upon the successful completion of a comprehensive assessment process at the conclusion of the Program.
Hugh Arnold divides his professional time between teaching executives at business schools in Canada and the UK and his consulting practice through Hugh Arnold Associates Limited specializing in leadership and organization. Dr. Arnold is Adjunct Professor of Management at the Rotman School at the ...
Marcel Desautels Chair in Integrative Thinking Professor of Organizational Behaviour & HR Management Degrees:PhD, Yale University MPhil, Yale University MA, Yale University JD/MBA, Osgoode/University of Toronto Glen Whyte is a Professor of Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Manageme...
Ramy Elitzur is the Edward J. Kernaghan Professor in Financial Analysis and an Associate Professor of Accounting. He has earned a PhD and MPhil. from Stern School of Business Administration, New York University and an MBA from Recanati School of Business, Tel Aviv University. In addition, he hold...
Anne Bowers is an Associate Professor of Strategic Management at Rotman. Her primary research interest include how classification shapes market outcomes, particularly the impact of rating systems, rankings and social categories on organizational performance. In a second stream of research, she st...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.