Business Case Development
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Alberta School of Business.Full disclaimer.
This one day course is part of the 3 day Certificate in Financial Management and the 12 day Management Essential Program. While the course is designed to be independent in nature, please consider whether maximum value can be obtained by taking it as part of a broader program.
The session provides managers and decision-makers structured guidance and practice on effectively developing and implementing a business case that aligns with their organization’s strategy. Participants will be active throughout the learning day as they do mini cases and exercises to reinforce content. Topics include:
- Linking the business case to strategic & financial objectives.
- Assessing the external and internal environment (such as the organization’s capacity, people and structure) in preparing a business case.
- Using discounted cash flows methods to determine a cases’ contribution to shareholder value.
- How to evaluate the merit of cost-cutting proposals.
- Identify and work effectively with each component of a well drafted business case.
- Understand each component of the external environment and how to match it with the SWOT analysis.
- Use financial metrics such as return on assets, debt to equity, debt to assets and cost of capital to build and shape your business case.
- Calculate your firm’s sustainable growth rate and assess how it compares to the business case’s growth potential.
- Calculate discounted cash flow methods such as Net Present Value (NPV) and Discounted Payback Period to assess the business case’s contribution to the firm’s value.
- Prepare relevant cash flow streams for the business case analysis.
- Understand financial and operating leverage and how sales movements affect both leverages and the organization’s bottom line.
Who should attend
- Mid-level to senior managers in non-financial areas or those needing a refresher on current financial tools and concepts
- Small business owners and entrepreneurs
- Professionals such as engineers, lawyers and consultants.