Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This programme has been designed to equip marketers with the expertise to shoot and edit professional video content. It is offered at a reduced rate so participants can take full advantage of the BFI's course slate.
About the course
The skills needed to create, commission, edit and distribute film and video are essential to capitalise on film as a key communication tool. BFI and CIM have partnered to enhance the film and video capability of marketing professionals, recognising the breadth of skills required of modern marketers.
Filmmaking and Video Production (2 days)
In this highly practical course, you will learn to capture key shots, using your smartphone, iPad or DSLR camera and edit it into a promotional video style of your choosing using Adobe Premiere. The course director will guide attendees through the principles of shooting and editing including lighting, blocking and framing scenes, and highlight examples of video marketing such as thought leadership and interviews to get you thinking creatively.
Video Editing Essentials (2 days)
Learn how the quality and impact of your content can be dramatically increased during editing and post-production, as you are taken through practical exercises in shaping story and adding effects in a professional workflow using Adobe Premiere. You will spend time independently shooting footage using your smartphone, iPad or DSLR camera which you will use to edit for the first exercise. In the second exercise, you will be provided with the raw footage and audio professionally captured by the BFI and asked to edit it into a compelling marketing video.
Filmmaking and Video Production
- Practical experience of planning, shooting and editing to produce engaging video content
- Understand the basics of storytelling, creating emotion and the preparation that goes into filmed projects including idea generation, storyboarding, script development, shot lists, planning a shoot and production roles
- Insight into blocking scenes, lighting and shooting content across short form, social media content and interviews
Video Editing Essentials
- Learn how to edit video content using Adobe Premiere
- Understand how post-production can improve the quality of promotional content
- Understand the basics of storytelling and editing to enhance narrative
- Understand pace and rhythm and the impact of genre on editing styles
- Learn how blocking a scene creates continuity of action
- Add effects, transitions, titles and video generators to enhance your video
- Learn to export video content from Adobe Premiere
As part of the onboarding process, students will complete a short questionnaire to help their tutor understand their existing experience and goals for the course.
Paul gained professional filmmaking experience working in commercials before studying Film and Television Production at The National Film School of Ireland where he learned cinematography and editing skills. His experience in commercials provides him with insight and expertise around creating sho...
Sa-Ra is an award-winning film educator and specialist in digital media, culture and education. She has worked at the cross section of education and digital media for organisations such as the Stedelijk Museum and EYE Filmmuseum in Amsterdam. Sa-Ra has extensive experience of providing digital ma...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.