Who should attend
- Nonprofit managers who oversee their organizations’ daily operations
- Senior nonprofit leaders in the role of supervising operations staff
- Cross-functional leaders poised for a nonprofit COO or similar role
- Public sector and government leaders who are responsible for overseeing the operations function
- Career switchers or for-profit leaders who intend on joining a nonprofit team or Board
About the course
Nonprofit executives have to balance several priorities to keep their organizations operating smoothly. They must consider organizational processes, key performance metrics, bottlenecks, organizational frameworks and process improvement; all while running their organization. As a result, they lack the opportunity to check in with themselves and evaluate their management styles and its effect on the organization.
This program will give you the opportunity to explore and evaluate the existing management and operational practices at your organization. Experiential group work will facilitate re-assessment of current procedures and offer new strategies to tackle organizational needs.
- Discuss the operational process cycles of your organization
- Refresh organizational management concepts
- Learn to identify and map strategic organizational structures
Organizational Agility and Building Learning-Ready Organizations
- Learn techniques for building agile organizations from a people-operations and social psychology approach
- Understand how organizational mapping and putting people in the right places produces value-added information and process
- Explore the value chain model where inputs are the decision goals and the outputs create value for the organization
- Discuss how sustainable advantage in such environments derives from an organization’s ability to identifty and move from one short-term competitive advantage to another
- Define strategic and organizational agility and develop a framework for measuring both concepts
Strategy and Organizational Design
- Define strategy and gain experience writing efficient and effective strategy statements that will guide decision making at each level of your nonprofit organization
- Understand how to use formal and informal organizational structure to address the two fundamental problems facing all organizations — coordination and control — and enable your nonprofit organization to best achieve its strategic goals
- Learn to build teams and workgroups that foster individual engagement and accountability as well as interpersonal trust and learning
- Participate in an opportunity to discuss the content through in-class discussions
Lean Operations and Managing Variability and Services
- Discuss further lean operations concepts and how those apply to your organization
- Tie the learned concepts in understanding how to manage and reduce variability in organizational processes through an experiential exercise such as the Dice Game
- Discuss managerial actions which mitigate the wait time for services, that is, reduce queuing’s negative impact on operational performance
Strengthening Organizational Operations – Making the Case for Continuous Improvement in the Social Sector
- Focus on building participant understanding of core concepts of performance measurement and continuous improvement in the social sector
- Through case examples, full group discussion, and small group exercises, explore approaches and build skills in performance measurement in the context of your organization and role
- Given the complexity of social issues today, discuss continuous improvement not only within organizations, but across multiple organizations and systems
- Applicable to participants in programmatic, operational and leadership roles
Pranav Kothari is the Founder & CEO of Revolution Impact, LLC. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in Chicago, the firm focuses on helping social sector organizations improve their results through better business practices and organizational strategies. The firmâ€™s projects include growth and ...
Ned Smith is an Associate Professor of Management and Organizations at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Associate Professor (by courtesy) of Sociology at Northwestern University, and faculty affiliate of the Northwestern Institute for Complexity (NICO). Prior to joining ...
Brooke Olson Vuckovic's career has been focused on helping executives define their purpose and presence as leaders; stretching them to become more focused, non-reactive and clear on who they are, where they're going, why they lead, and what the circumstances they face demand of them. Dr. Vuckovi...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.