Who should attend
- Organizational leaders who desire to build a breakthrough innovation capability
- Managers of innovation and their teams
- Experienced innovation leaders who want to improve their group's effectiveness
- Ideally works at a company with $1B+ in revenue that is national or global
- Ideally affiliated with or responsible for strategic innovation and can come from functional areas such as R&D, strategy, HR, organizational development, marketing, product development, and new business development
- Teams of three to five people are encouraged to attend in order to collaborate on an action plan together (discounts available for teams of 2-5)
About the course
Industries and companies are being disrupted by advances in science and technology. New competitors are threatening companies who have been around for decades and stockholder demands continue to intensify. Companies need to innovate beyond incremental new products to generate long-term revenue and organizational renewal that will keep companies healthy.
Building a Capability for Breakthrough Innovation: Executive Overview shows businesses how to set up an innovation function with a talent management system in order to generate a continuous flow of strategic innovation.
Learn Essential Skills
- Discover the necessary elements of a management system for strategic innovation and the three fundamental innovation capabilities: Discovery, Incubation, and Acceleration
- Understand the importance of an articulated strategic intent, and its differences from strategy, and test yours out in a safe environment
- Learn the key patterns of evolving and developing an innovation function, identify the current stage of maturity of your innovation system, diagnose the challenges facing you at this time, and prepare a plan for addressing those challenges
What You Will Learn
In this action-based program, you’ll develop the tools necessary to implement an innovation function in your company and immediately apply the concepts you learn back to your business. You will develop an action plan for how to start an innovation function at your company and receive 1 on 1 coaching from faculty after the program regarding the implemention of your action plan. We encourage teams to join so you can work on the action plan together.
- Priming your company for strategic innovation with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Identify your company’s strategic intent
- Take an innovation maturity assessment to get an idea of the strengths and gaps of your company’s management system for strategic innovation, which will help identify priority areas for improvement
- Understand the innovation roles needed for breakthrough innovation
- Learn how to evolve your company’s strategic innovation capability, including identifying red flags and land mines to avoid
Andrew Corbett is the Paul T. Babson Chair of Entrepreneurship and serves as Chair of the Entrepreneurship Division. He is an editor for the Journal of Business Venturing, and co-editor of the Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence, and Growth book series. Professor Corbett also holds an ap...
Gina joined Babson in January 2019 as a Professor of Innovation Management. She conducts research and develops curricula that facilitates learning for graduate students and executives based on her findings on Breakthrough Innovation capabilities in large mature companies. Before joining Babson G...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.