Bridging the Generation Gap: Communicating Effectively in a Multi-Generational Workforce (LD255)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ILR School.Full disclaimer.
Bridging the generational gap is about many things other than what makes us different. It is about being open to learning and understanding why these differences exist. It is about changing the mindset for which we were traditionally taught to view work and exploring new ways to communicate with others.
We are all faced with the task to leverage our differences in a way that makes each person around us successful. This requires the core skills of patience, listening with respect, asking to learn vs tell, compromise, adaptability, admitting when one may need help, and above all learning how to flex your style to not treat others the way you would want to be treated BUT to treat others the way they would want to be treated.
This session will provide an interactive approach to uncovering the most impactful generational differences we encounter most frequently on the job and the tools/skills required to foster these differences into more productive relationships. Participants will also explore their personal communication styles and the impact it has on others along with how making age-based assumptions can diminish both respect and trust in the workplace.
- Build communication and listening skills and increase trust and respect for differences amongst staff
- Establish successful means for avoiding common stigmas and handling miscommunications in the workplace
- Avoid falling prey to stereotypes in regards to general views on group differences vs unique individual characteristics
- Assess what is the generational gap workplace leaders now face (from iGen to Millennials to Boomers)
- Explore not only the most critical generational differences impacting the workplace but how the workplace itself has changed and the skills required to either overcome or nurture these differences for improved business performance
Approach and Features
- Increase self-awareness through completion of a self-assessment and group discussions around perception and how others may view you
- Think on your feet and practice communication and listening skills through activities that build empathy
- Create a learning plan to help transfer workshop learnings to the workplace