Blockchain for Business
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with The London School of Economics and Political Science.Full disclaimer.
Gain an understanding of blockchain technologies and how to apply them to add value to your organisation.
Blockchain for Business provides you with a comprehensive review of the blockchain landscape, assessing the considerable business potential it presents, and expected future developments. You’ll leave with a confident understanding of what a blockchain is and how it works.
The course is both highly practical and grounded in the latest academic research. Gain hands-on experience through ‘sprint design sessions’ that allow you to create and innovate potential blockchain solutions to your own business problems. This is complemented by the experiences of guest speakers and empirical evidence from our world-class faculty. LSE is renowned for its research on emerging technologies and how they can be applied to improve both organisations and society as a whole.
Benefit from learning alongside a highly diverse range of participants from around the world and from a range of different sectors, functions and experience levels with blockchain. This provides you with different perspectives and fantastic networking opportunities.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the key blockchain technologies, and the risks, challenges, and applications they offer for businesses across sectors.
- Gain insight into the rapidly developing blockchain and cryptotoken business landscapes, the emerging eco-systems, stakeholders and directions being taken that will impact on business, economies, regulation, customers, employees, and government.
- Develop business acumen on the technical components, and how they can be leveraged for business purposes in specific sectors, functions and for distinctive activities.
- Become alive to the risks and challenges – particularly technical, organizational, regulatory, and business – inherent in the technologies and their application.
- Identify business cases for blockchain applications, though analysing criteria for use cases, risk, thinking through strategic use, and developing implementation roadmaps.
- Develop a critical awareness of key requirements for business problems to be solved through blockchain technology.
- Learn from multiple business cross-sector use cases, and be able to apply learning to own blockchain opportunities within a structured Executive Sprint.
Day 1: The Technology: How It Works, Promise and Challenges
- Emergence of blockchain
- Contemporary blockchain landscape
- The technologies of blockchain
- Business understanding of various protocols – e.g. Hyperledger, Quorum, Leonardo, Ethereum, Bitcoin
- Design principles.
Day 2: Blockchain Applications in Traditional Business Contexts
- Business application framework and potential business value
- Criteria for ideal use cases
- Disruptive vs. sustaining innovation potential
- Emerging action principles for managing blockchain for business value.
Day 3: Blockchain and Radical Business Innovation
- Tokenisation technology, infrastructure and ecosystem
- Blockchain services, platforms and infrastructures
- Innovating distributed business models
- Blockchain and types of open innovation arrangements
- Smart contracts and ecosystem resource exchanges
- Regulation, risk and global innovation
- Sprint design session: mapping a company’s digital landscape, designing problems for blockchain to address.
Day 4: Business Cases in Different Sectors
- Risks assessment of blockchain start-ups
- Creating the business case for a blockchain application
- Successful start-up and cross-sector blockchain use case studies
- Organisational implementation challenges and emerging solutions
- Shared governance models
- Regulatory environment
- Sprint design session: brainstorming opportunities and challenges – designing digital ecosystems and platforms which leverage blockchain.
Day 5: Developments, Directions and Challenges
- Predictions on where business use will focus – emerging core uses and new areas
- Risks and challenges going forward
- Action plans for participants
- Sprint design session: designing a blockchain solution and building a paper-prototype.
Who should attend
- Senior executives searching for insight and guidance in regards to decision-making on emerging blockchain technologies and their deployment in business.
- Regulatory and government agency staff needing knowledge and insight into the potential and challenges presented by emerging blockchain technologies.
- Students, independent advisors, and individuals looking for an education in blockchain technologies with a view to developing a career in some aspect of blockchain application.
- Operational managers needing to understand how blockchain technologies work, and their implication for issues such as process redesign, work flow, security and privacy, auditability, how to implement and deploy the technologies and how to derive business value from these investments.