This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
This programme is delivered in partnership with Euromoney Learning Solutions, a world leading provider of premium public courses, eLearning and tailored learning solutions.
Developments in the FinTech space are transforming financial services and blockchain and distributed ledger technology is at the forefront of this revolution. Both The Wall Street Journal and The Economist have described it as technology that could change the world. And this applies to both developed and emerging economies alike.
Blockchain offers banks, asset managers and other organisations the potential to achieve considerable cost savings, efficiencies and resilience in relation to their payment and payment execution systems. These are developments that no senior executive can afford to ignore. Gaining a foothold at this early stage is vital in shaping the technology strategies of the future. Alternative Finance can change peoples’ lives, and economies, forever.
At its core, this course provides a grounded and organisationally relevant introduction to Blockchain and related cryptocurrency technology. Starting from first principles, the course approaches the technology from a number of different perspectives providing foundational knowledge that will enable delegates to return to their own organisations, or community projects, with a clear understanding of how this important technology impacts the bottom line. The Blockchain components are then supplemented with an overview of Alternative Finance within Africa.
On completion of the course, delegates will receive a certificate of completion. As the learning provider, GIBS will, on request, provide the supporting documentation to organisations. This documentation can then be used during the skills levy claim back process, with which organisations can motivate a claim back at either a level B or level D.
How you will benefit:
At the end of this programme you will be able to understand the following topics:
- Background and introduction:
- Why Blockchain is so important;
- Benefits and pitfalls considered;
- Overview of how is Blockchain used; and
- Alternative finance - linkage to alternative payment solutions.
- How organisations work and examples;
- The emergence of cryptocurrencies (and the Blockchain);
- Understating what money is and how does it acquire value;
- History of cryptocurrencies;
- Understating how Blockchains (and cryptocurrencies) work;
- The relationship between Blockchain and cryptocurrency;
- Understanding the basics of cryptography;
- Understanding wallets, sending and receiving Bitcoin;
- Building the Blockchain;
How you will benefit continued:
- Using a Blockchain;
- The community and governance;
- Regulation and the law;
- Coming to grips with how it is disrupting your business model;
- Core technology components;
- The relevance of Blockchain to your own organisation;
- Applying Blockchain across multiple organisations; and
- Understating where next for blockchain technology.
Fintech / alternative finance in Africa:
- Africa’s alternative finance market;
- Payment systems in Africa;
- Crowd funding for energy projects;
- Islamic finance and Islamic crowdfunding; and
- Regulatory perspectives - existing and proposed.
This programme is delivered in partnership with:
Who should attend
- Directors, strategists, managers and analysts who are covering line and project roles working in technology, operations, finance, government, charity, NGO and policy roles; and
- Commercial, legal, compliance and procurement teams.
Trust the experts
Haydn Jones has over 20 years’ commercial, operational and technical experience working for commercial/investment banks (UBS/Deutsche Bank), a central bank (the Bank of England), a management consultancy firm (A.T. Kearney) and a global technology company (Fujitsu). He has depth in terms of opera...