Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Analysts, Managers and Directors, covering line and project roles working in Technology, Operations and Finance
- Commercial, Legal, Compliance and Procurement Teams
About the course
Developments in the FinTech space are transforming financial services and blockchain and distributed ledger technology are at the forefront of this revolution. Both The Wall Street Journal and The Economist have described it as technology that could change the world. Blockchain offers banks, asset managers and other organisations the potential to achieve considerable cost savings, efficiencies and resilience in relation to their payment and payment execution systems. These are developments that no senior executive can afford to ignore. Gaining a foothold at this early stage is vital in shaping the technology strategies of the future.
This course provides a grounded and organisationally relevant introduction to blockchain and related cryptocurrency technology. Starting from first principles, the course approaches the technology from a number of different perspectives to provide foundational knowledge that will enable you to return to your organisation with a clear understanding of how this important technology impacts the bottom line.
By the end of the course, you will have a comprehensive understanding of how to use blockchain technology with a real sense of what’s possible.
Blockchain: A Practical, Strategic & Commercial Guide
- Why is blockchain so important?
- How is blockchain used? Sector Examples
- Market dynamics
Context - How organisations work and examples
- Front to back | Business process flows & making money | Goods & services
- Technology architecture | Centralised vs. Distributed
- Supply and purchase
The emergence of cryptocurrencies (and the blockchain) - Money
- What is money and how does it acquire value?
- Banking and payments infrastructure
- Central banking and regulation
- The advent of the internet and the case for digital money
History of Cryptocurrencies
- The world pre-bitcoin
- The challenge of digital money | Sending and Receiving Money Online
- Bitcoin and why study it?
- The emergence of blockchain from Bitcoin
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies Today
- Digital currencies - Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple, Dash, Litecoin, Zcash, Monero etc
- Understanding Wallets, Sending and Receiving Bitcoin
High Level - How blockchains and cryptocurrencies work?
- Cryptographic primitives
- The hash function | SHA 256 and examples
- Digital signing
- Public / private key infrastructure
- The concept of identity and wallets
- Transactions and Consensus Protocols
- Digital Currency Trading Exercise
The Blockchain Game - Compete to Mine A Digital Currency
Decentralised Applications - Open Software and Smart Contracts
- Ethereum and EOS
- Smart Contracts
- Using Smart Contracts
- Currency Segmentation
- Market trends
- Initial Coin Offerings and capital raising
Digital Currency Trading Exercise
- Introduction to digital currency trading and currency exchanges
- Example trading indicators - MACD, Moving Averages, Relative Strength
- Cyber security
- Digital currency companies
- Distributed Autonomous Organisations
Regulatory, Tax and Compliance
- Government Perspectives
- Regulatory Framework
- Tax Treatment
- Money Laundering - KYC and AML
Workshop Session: Using blockchain and digital currency technology
- Proof of Concept
- Blockchain Strategies
- Commercial Perspectives - how do you engage a blockchain company?
Blockchain Technologies By Sector and Function
- Sector Review - Financial Services, Oil and Gas, Pharmaceuticals, Retail, Media
- Functional Review - Provenance, Procurement, Payments, Sales and Identity
- Challenges with Blockchain Technology
- Where next for blockchain technology?
- Vision and Opportunities
Haydn Jones has over 20 years’ commercial, operational and technical experience working for commercial/investment banks (UBS/Deutsche Bank), a central bank (the Bank of England), a management consultancy firm (A.T. Kearney) and a global technology company (Fujitsu). He has depth in terms of opera...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.