Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Schulich Executive Learning Centre.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Today’s organizations are looking for tomorrow’s leadership team and project managers make great leaders!
As an experienced PM, the next step in your career could very well take you to the senior leadership level. This three-day workshop will give participants a solid understanding of the three key elements that PMs need to embrace to become enhance their project management leadership skills. Participants will come away from the program inspired to reach to the next level with a new roadmap for their careers – their own professional strategic plan to guide them on the journey to senior leadership.
- Familiarity with the strategic planning process
- Increased awareness of the factors that guide and impact strategic thinking
- Strategic options and mechanisms for choosing the right course of action
- Key business leadership mindset questions to ask
- Systematic ways to identify and assess key business problems and opportunities
- Critical thinking skills using proven leadership tools and techniques.
- Improved efficiency and effectiveness when planning and implementing change initiatives
- Communicating with authority
- How to “pre-read” and present to audiences of all sizes
- Understand the art of science of making and communicating decisions
- Adapt a ‘story-telling’ approach to influencing people
Course content details
Strategy and Strategic Thinking
This module provides an in-depth coverage of the tools and frameworks that are useful in strategic decision making at the various managerial levels of the organization. The development of a systematic way of thinking that enables you to develop comprehensive answers to these questions is a key objective of this course.
- What is Strategy?
- Strategy vs. Business Model
- Hierarchy of Strategies
- Strategic Management Process
- Vision, Mission & Values
- External Environment Analysis
- Internal Environment Analysis
- Choosing the Right Strategy(ies)
- Final Project: Putting it All Together
Developing Your Business Acumen – Thinking beyond Projects
Effective leaders need to think beyond the triple constraints of project management to be successful. They need to develop a CEO mindset that considers a wider scope. This session provides project professionals with the essential concepts, tools, techniques, and skills needed to manage the business beyond the project for successful outcomes.
This module has been developed based on contemporary trends in the business environment: the need to align business management decisions with the organizational vision and values; assessing business problems and opportunities using a deliberate strategic thinking process; change leadership trends and ways to manage resistance and increase commitment to achieve the desired business outcomes.
This session promises a strategic business leadership framework beyond the triple constraints of projects that will enable high-potential leaders learn and apply the fundamentals to succeed.
- Identifying one’s “Business Acumen”
- Taking an Inventory of Your Business Acumen
- Identifying the business problem or opportunity
- Thinking strategically as a business leader
- Applying Critical Thinking Techniques
- Making wise business decisions
- Planning and Implementing Change
- Overcoming Resistance and Gaining Commitment
Communicating Like a Leader
Managers and leaders at all levels of our organizations need to be great communicators. In fact, poor communication skills is one of the top factors that can hold you back from a senior promotion within your organization. Project managers and project leaders need to be great communicators.
Stakeholders, customers, team members, senior management teams, sponsors and more all require a special and unique touch and approach to the way we communicate with them.
This module will allow us to fine tune our communication skills in all areas of our professional and even personal lives.
- Presentation Skills
- Writing Skills
- Decision Making
- Selling and influencing
- Connecting with People
- Listening skills
Who should attend
The program is designed for individuals with prior experience in the discipline of project management, including, project management professionals, graduates of the Masters Certificate in Project Management and other similar programs and current PMPs.
Trust the experts
Biography Gail is one of Canada’s most experienced negotiators and professional instructors in the field of business negotiating and innovative negotiated solutions. She is a Harvard University trained specialist in both collaborative and competitive bargaining methods, and facilitates negotiati...
David Barrett is the President of Solutions Network Ltd., Group Conference Director with Diversified Business Communications Canada and Program Director at The Schulich Executive Education Centre, Schulich School of Business, York University. In his role with Solutions Network he is primarily th...
Biography Wissam AlHussaini holds a PhD in Business Administration from John Molson School of Business at Concordia University and an MBA degree from Suliman S. Olayan School of Business at the American University of Beirut. Over the years, Wissam has designed and delivered numerous training pro...