Who should attend
- Executives, leaders, and department heads
- Rising leaders in their organizations who are seeking new ways to maximize and motivate their employees by giving new purpose to their organization.
- Ideal candidate roles are in the mid-range or above in their organization.
- Teams designated to bring purpose to an organization.
About the course
In this 4-week course, discover what it means to be a Purpose-Driven Organization and learn how you can align your organization with an authentic high purpose, one that intersects with business interests and helps guide decision-making. Readings, discussions, and application activities in this course provide you with the necessary skills and tools you need to help your company become a purpose-driven organization. One of the most important insights associated with creating a purpose-driven organization is that in a company that has an authentic higher purpose, all decisions are arbitrated by the purpose. This leads the company to move from decisions of expediency to decisions of principle.
- Create a purpose-driven organization
- Move a culture from focusing on limitations to identifying possibilities.
- Increase employee engagement, customer satisfaction, and economic performance.
- Unleash the positive energizers in your organization to inspire and achieve.
- Learn from video cases of CEOs who have succeeded
- Learn from the foremost book on Creating a Purpose-Driven Organization
WHAT SETS THIS PROGRAM APART
- Disrupt managerial conventional assumptions that create a workforce that fosters self-interest and is motivated by external rewards and punishments which in turn, builds systems of managerial control and encourages employees to make conventional assumptions. This thinking increases failure to see opportunities and lead to conflict, resisting feedback, underperformance, and personal stagnation.
- Develop leaders who accept the truth of conventional reality and recognize they have the power to transform it.
- Engage in a live Q&A session with faculty leadership expert, Robert Quinn
- Learn from Michigan Ross, #3 Global Provider Financial Times Open Enrollment, 2020.
This course is organized by daily lessons requiring approximately 30 minutes of your time. Activities vary in type (videos, readings, online discussions, etc.) and you can complete them all at once or in small segments, as time allows throughout your workday.
WEEK ONE: DISCOVERING OUR PURPOSE
- Envision a Purpose-Driven Organization
- Discover the Purpose
- Meet the Need for Authenticity
- Organizational and Individual Diagnostic
WEEK TWO: INDIVIDUAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE
- Work in Teams or Individually to Interview and Refine Purpose
WEEK THREE: IMBUING THE ORGANIZATION WITH PURPOSE
- Turn the Higher Purpose into a Constant Arbiter
- Stimulate Learning
- Turn Mid-level Managers into Purpose-Driven Leaders
- Connect the People to the Purpose
- Unleash the Positive Energizers
WEEK FOUR: STARTING YOUR PURPOSE JOURNEY
- Work in Teams or Individually to Finalize Purpose and Action Plans (2.5 days)
- Closeout the course with a live session with renowned MI Ross leadership faculty, Robert Quinn.
Research Robert E. Quinn holds the Margaret Elliot Tracey Collegiate Professorship at the University of Michigan and serves on the faculty of Organization and Management at the Ross Business School. He is one of the co-founders and of the Center for Positive Organizations. Quinn’s research and te...
Prior to joining the Olin Business School, Thakor was The Edward J. Frey Professor of Banking and Finance at the Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, where he also served as chairman of the Finance area. He has served on the faculties of Indiana University, Northwestern University, an...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.