Basics of Construction Purchasing
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Texas LBJ School.Full disclaimer.
This session will allow the first time buyer involved in construction purchasing or contract management to develop a comfort in the sometimes foreign environment of construction purchasing. This enhanced understanding will help the buyer/manager protect their agency by minimizing cost overruns as well as provide an understanding of the basis and justification of cost overruns, if warranted.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Employ new and different construction purchasing terminology;
- Ensure a project is properly cost validated;
- Effectively negotiate with contractors and subcontractors;
- Utilize new tools for construction contract management;
- Employ a Work Breakdown Structure ("WBS") as part of the active schedule of cost; and;
- Better manage the change order process.
Who should attend
This session is geared for buyers, contract administrators, project managers, program managers, and executive directors. If your agency is planning any new construction or remodels, this course will save you time and money! If you are involved in the construction or remodeling work at your agency, school, or business, then who is really managing the work?
- Engineering? No, their job is to design.
- Facilities? No, they take over after the work is approved.
- The end user? No, they often do not have a clue about construction.
- The General Contractor? Now you are completely out of control!!
- Purchasing/Contracts? You better be ... or the risk to the operation is estimated between 7-11% of the original contract price.