Assertiveness Skills for Managers
This programme is designed to highlight the need to demonstrate assertive behaviour and how it impacts overall performance. You will learn to interact more effectively with people and manage your relationship with others with greater confidence and authority.
Benefits to You
Being assertive means communicating your needs, wants and opinion to others in a direct and tactful manner, while at the same time receptive to their needs and without being confrontational or aggressive.
You cannot manage effectively if you feel uncomfortable saying ‘NO’ to your employees and are afraid to influence upwards and shy away from conflicts. Participants will learn to:
•take charge in their jobs
•handle conflicts with strength and decisiveness
•get tasks accomplished while maintaining effective relationships
•make requests and refuse others
•influence others without being coercive or manipulative
- What is Assertiveness ?
- The philosophy of assertion
- Three response styles – Assertive, passive, aggressive
- How did we Become Non-assertive?
- Coping mechanisms
- Expectations of others and self
- Become Assertive
- Changing your self-limiting beliefs
- Identifying and owning your own wants
- Building your self-confidence
- Coping with criticism, anger and guilt
- Taking charge of your environment
- Verbal Assertion
- Assertive communication options
- Which skills to use and when
- Assertive Management
- Managing conflict
- Giving and receiving performance feedback
- Clear contracting, setting goals and follow-up
- Managing Relationships at Work
- You and your boss, subordinates and co-workers
- Influencing Skills
- Personal power
- Getting others to heed your advice
As part of the training and learning during this course, photography and/or video recording of participants in action will be done.
Who should attend
- (Level 2) Supervisor, Executive, & Emerging Managers
- (Level 3) New Managers
- (Level 4) Managers