Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Cox School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Are you new to management? Looking to move into management? Seeking greater responsibility or even a promotion? Then the Aspiring Manger Program is right for you.
Management is a profession based on fundamental practices. Analyzing your current environment and situation, understanding how to get things done through others, leveraging your influence, and hiring, engaging and retaining talent.
It’s also about:
- Building the capabilities of your direct reports
- Working with teams and leading change
- Effective decision making
- Steering difficult conversations
- Negotiating for success
Formerly known as the Certificate of Management, these 10 challenging sessions will equip you with the right mindset and skill set to be an exceptional manager. Successful manager create and promote successful working environments. You’ll grow in your confidence to manage people and projects and become more effective with critical skills managers must demonstrate.
Benefits to you
- Improve your overall management skills and establish an approach that works for you
- Enhance your capacity to grow as a manager and to develop others
- Gain a positive approach to people and problem solving
- Learn to implement strategies from evidence-based research on today’s most valued management topics
- Create and execute an actionable development plan that helps you grow
Benefits to Your Organization
The knowledge and skills you gain in this management development program will help your organization increase its overall organizational effectiveness, improve retention of future talent, achieve more goals, and reduce the cost and trauma of organizational turnover.
Challenges & Changes for Managers on the Move
- Examine the dynamics of how professional skills and competencies evolve as managers develop their careers in organizations
- Understand the need to navigate both the formal organizational charts and the informal networks that define work and relationships within any organization
- Learn the basic ingredients of how to manage via influence to attain “centrality” within your organization
This session explores the major economic, technological and organizational factors that are redefining the way work gets done, changing how organizations compete, and shaping the landscape that today's leaders must navigate. Assess the impact of how new technologies are beginning to dramatically redefine the nature of managerial work.
Leveraging Managerial Influence
- Gain an understanding of the ways to influence employee behaviors, and their importance for successful leadership
- Discern the utility in different approaches to influence employees factoring in relevant personal and situational influences
- Examine how qualities of today's workforce impact leaders' ability to effectively influence their employees
Today's leaders need a broadened perspective to successfully influence their employees as they face an ever-changing business landscape. This expanded leadership approach allows leaders to align and evaluate their purpose, values, and strategies in relation to organizational direction.
Hiring, Engaging and Retaining the Best
- Develop an understanding of who you are as a company to better define who will be successful as a new hire
- Identify the “Ideal Team Player”
- Understand the different types of interviews and questions
- Practice screening resumes and using effective interviewing skills
- Discuss the role of managers and leaders in attracting, engaging and retaining top talent
Managers across and up and down the organization often don’t understand the underlying strength in the hiring, engaging and retaining employees. This is often seen as a lesser priority or to be focused on during annual reviews. This module helps put this in perspective for overall organizational benefit.
Building Capability by Coaching and Mentoring Others
- Learn what it means to be a coach-like leader and mentor
- Explore the benefits of being a better coach and mentor to you, those you influence and your organization
- Learn and practice skills and a coaching model for more impactful conversations
Today’s competitive workplace demands that leaders evaluate performance and provide coaching and mentoring to employees. The new generations entering the workforce want coaching and expect mentoring from their leaders. Being a mentor/coach leader is one of the most effective ways to get more done for the company while building an engaged and enthusiastic workplace. Learn the best new skills and techniques that will prepare you to build organizational capability within yourself and others.
Leading Change that Works
- Understand how contributing to or leading change is different than leading an ongoing project or process
- Learn the habits & behaviors of successful change activators and the practices that will increase your success
- Learn how to create a change plan, consider stakeholders, and measure your progress
- Understand how to communicate with teams and colleagues in times of change
Managing change successfully requires a new approach for planning your work and communicating with your team and colleagues. We will explore the research behind the behaviors of effective change activators and how to adopt them in your work. In this interactive session, we will discuss real-life situations and identify tips for how to manage through changes in your teams and organization.
Fundamentals of Teamwork
- Framework – Five requirements for team effectiveness
- Examine leadership roles that contribute to team effectiveness
- Discover the importance of team identity and team norms
- Explore issues related to team development
Successful teamwork underlies nearly all work situations. Understanding how teams develop and when to intervene underlies the successful team leadership. You will learn how to help team members exercise the leadership and guidance that isn’t granted by title or status.
Decision-Making Traps and Biases That Impact Results
- Learn specific facilitation techniques for use in group problem solving and decision making discussions
- Deliver tools for decision making: assessing risk, determining value, evaluating ease of implementation and prioritizing options
This session will provide skills and tools that can be applied immediately. It is a simple and effective system that increases productivity. The principle behind the method is “parallel thinking” which ensures that all the people in a meeting/team/project are focused on and thinking about the same subject at the same time.
From Conflict to Collaboration – Difficult Conversations That Produce Positive Results
- Learn to confront issues head on and hold difficult conversations that you get the results you need AND maintain and build relationships along the way
As work becomes more complex and collaborative, the ability to build trusting relationships distinguishes those who flourish from those who falter. We are often required to achieve results with groups and individuals well beyond where our formal authority lies. Learn to leverage influence to create more productive and even more enjoyable relationships with your boss, peers and employees.
- Diagnose your current strategies and refine them
- Prepare to be more effective in every negotiation
- Be soft on people but tough on issues
Participants will learn common and costly negotiator biases and how to avoid them. They will recognize the layers to the negotiation process and anticipate actions and reactions. The overarching message is how to come of out of a negotiation with a win-win. The lessons can apply to every aspect of professional and personal life.
The Exceptional Manager and Conclusion
- Learn and be able to apply critical thinking and multiple models to solve business problems in the Smart Machine Age.
- Learn, understand and face the challenges presented by a Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous (VUCA) business environment
- Learn and be able to use the OODA loop in various business settings to gain competitive advantage and/or improve business results.
This session provides tools for meeting the challenges and managing successfully in the Smart Machine Age. Attendees will learn how critical thinking skills is the ultimate competitive and managerial advantage now and in the foreseeable future. Students will also learn how to use tools such as the ODA Loop for getting better results and overcoming competitive challenges. Additional techniques and knowledge will also be shared that will allow successful navigation of the volatile, uncertain and complex environment common in business and the world at large.
Who should attend
- New managers and supervisors
- Individuals preparing to assume more responsible roles in their organizations