Who should attend
Suitable for both beginners and more experienced students, this course is a must if you want to find out more about how to manage creative projects in the world of fashion communication. It is a great opportunity for networking and collaborating, and would be of interest to fashion brand managers, film makers, photographers, graduate students and fashion retail staff.
About the course
The fashion industry needs compelling images to build brands, tell stories, make emotional connections, and most importantly, to sell products across a multi-media platform. This course is a fast-paced and practical introduction to Art Direction for fashion, led by a leading creative art director. You will discover how to plan and execute your art direction project to the standards demanded by today's fashion industry. You will explore the history of fashion photography right up to the work of contemporary photographers, learning how their work impacts on fashion-focused image production today, and you will get an overview of the practical skills - interpreting briefs, casting models, finding locations, working with social media, stylists, photographers and film makers - that you need to succeed.
You will develop your own project during the course, with practical and personal guidance and feedback at every step. Your final project will be reviewed by your tutor Schelay McCarter.
- Visual Literacy - what is your USP as an individual image maker
- Brain storming using catwalk trends
- The business of fashion - how it really works
- Guidance of basic lay-out design for publication
- Psychology of image creation
- Jobs - where to look
- Technological trend developments
- Weekly research tasks
- The three stages of a fashion shoot plan
- Online group critiques and discussion
- The production - how to time manage - how to cost a shoot
- Reviews and feedback
- Presentation Guide - how to sell your ideas
- By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed a good understanding of the role of an Art Director in the Fashion Industry
- Learnt how to market yourself as a successful Art Director
- Knowledge of how to plan and deliver successful images that will inspire audiences and sell product
- An understanding of the practical, legal and fiscal elements required in the management of a fashion shoot production
- Received hand-outs to form an Art directors handbook of useful data
- Personal feedback on how to progress your career
- An invitation to join the Art Direction for Fashion CSM London Facebook, which provides excellent networking opportunities
- Upon request, students will receive an outcomes review of their online fashion art direction project
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Online short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
I am passionate about making creative visions reality. Selling fashion product with persuasive visual images is key to what I am good at. I strive to inspire my students at Central Saint Martins with the same ideals. A team player I believe in a proactive approach to creative problem solving. I ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.