Art Direction for Fashion
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with London College of Fashion.Full disclaimer.
An Art Director is a visionary who looks at the big picture across multiple media productions and usages.
On this course the job of an Art Director in the fashion industry will be explored, how to create compelling commercial images to build brands, tell stories, and most importantly how to sell fashion product.
We will look at the career opportunities for Art Directors and how to sell yourself and work.
You will discover how to plan and execute your fashion image ideas to the standards demanded by today's fashion industry in 3 key professional Stages.
At the end of the course your final project will be reviewed by your tutor and a top professional image maker, and you will receive a written review to pair with your project presentation along with your CSM Short course certificate.
See Tutor Bio for more details.
- Jobs – where to look
- Visual Literacy - what is your USP as an individual image maker
- Psychology of commercial image creation
- Who are key photography/film influencers past and present
- Fashion Trend research
- The business of fashion - how it really works
- Guidance of basic lay-out presentation design and copywriting
- Time management / lead times
- Homework and research tasks
- Planning the three stages of a fashion shoot
- How to source your fashion shoot team
- How to set up a test shoot
- How to ‘pitch’ your ideas
- Team playing
- The production - time management, what to consider
- Reviews and feedback
- Presentation Guide – persuasive visual sequencing examples
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed a good understanding of the role of an Art Director in the Fashion Industry
- Knowledge of where to look for jobs
- Fashion shoot realisation from concept to creation ability
- Understanding of how to market yourself as a successful Art Director
- Engaged in critical and analytical reviews
- Applicable research skills for future project work
- Understanding the needs of the client
- Understanding of the global fashion industry
- An understanding of the practical, legal and fiscal elements required in the management of a fashion shoot production
- Art directors handbook of useful data
- Knowledge of how to form a creative team with your fellow students to plan a test shoot during or post this course.
- Excellent networking opportunities, with an invitation to join the ‘Art Direction for Fashion CSM London Facebook’
- A discretionary Linkedin endorsement from an industry professional
- Written review of your fashion art direction project to go in your portfolio
Who should attend
Stylists, Creative Directors, copywriters, Art Buyers, Designers, Photographers, film makers, fashion brand managers, models, graduate students and fashion retail staff or Creative students wishing to build a portfolio for future affiliated course study at CSM or creative professionals who wish to enhance their skills in art direction for career enhancement.
This is a natural follow on course for students who have completed CSM short courses in Fashion Styling, trend forecasting, fashion marketing, fashion design, or other Photography or Graphic Design courses at Central Saint Martins.