Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
Explore the use of analytical methods in management problem-solving, highlighting organizational and contextual issues. Construct an analytical model of a problem that can be manipulated or solved to identify a decision that yields the best outcome, according to one or more carefully defined criteria. The challenges of communicating and implementing results in an organizational context may also be explored through mini-cases and illustrations.
Course at a glance
- Aimed at mid-level management who are developing and implementing new business analytics within their organization.
- In-class, face-to-face delivery.
- Lecture and discussion-based course with class exercises and discussions of assigned readings.
- Participants will be able to offer reflections of their personal experiences involving different management scenarios.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize the process and steps of business problem framing and distinguish characteristics of analytic targets.
- Identify steps for creating a simple analytical model.
- Describe considerations for communicating analytics results and cultivating buy-in.
- Identify where and why analytics models are applied and recognize the application of analytics in various parts of the Value Chain.
- Describe the roadmap of analytical target development and ways to prioritize analytical target opportunities.
- Describe steps for constructing analytics models.
- Discuss the role of the Analytics Explorer.
- Describe steps for creating an analytics presentation.
- Recognize a four-step framework for selling analytics.
All reading materials will be available through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
David has been an associate with Performance Group since 2011. He is an accomplished program and project manager with key strengths in organizational alignment, operations and performance planning and management and quality improvement. He has extensive experience with core services reviews, orga...
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.