Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This seminar is for managers who want to effectively translate data analytics into business value, but do not necessarily have the technical expertise to do the analytics themselves.
About the course
The ability to use data to eﬀectively drive decisions is an integral part of modern management. In this seminar, you will learn the theoretical and practical applications of data analytics and how they apply to decision making. You will deepen your understanding of descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. You will also learn how to use that data to develop insights through a series of exercises and case studies. Finally, participants will gain a deeper understanding of how to make data-driven business decisions within their organization. This course will enable you to be an informed and empowered manager of data. You will leave with a toolkit for making sense of data and using data to make decisions.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Think critically about data
- Differentiate between good and bad data
- Avoiding data collection biases
- When to use descriptive, predictive or prescriptive analytics
- Understand different applications of business analytics across industries and sectors
- Identify opportunities for creating value using business analytics
- Properly structure data for your organization
Topics covered during the program
Using Data for Decision Making
- Role of data in decision making
- Discuss different frameworks to support decision-making in organizations
Good data and how to structure it
- Understand the perceived value of data
- Four V’s of data – volume, velocity, variety, and veracity
- Forecast the future based on past trends
- Mine data to predict customer demand and preferences
- Assess the quality of predictions
- Understand how to leverage data that has already been collected
- Find the best course of action for a given situation
Professor Ramaprasad joined the Smith School of Business as part of the DOIT area in Fall 2019. Prior to that she was an Associate Professor of Information Systems at the Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University on Montreal, QC. She received her doctorate in Management, Information Sy...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.