About the course
Discover how to take advantage of the extensive design space for composite aircraft structure while avoiding the pitfalls. The third course in Aircraft Composite Structural Analysis & Design Certificate, this class will teach you how the use of composite materials for primary structure can increase the value of an aircraft.
Explore the materials, fabrication processes and tooling considerations to be evaluated in the designs of composite structure. Next, you’ll learn how the constraints of each process are evaluated during preliminary and detailed design. Instructors will discuss and demonstrate computing tools for capturing and querying composite data, so that students will have an understanding of methods they might be able to implement in their development of composite structure.
You’ll also work through optimization techniques and apply them to composite structure as well as review case studies to understand lessons learned across various programs and design iterations.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Standards for manufacturing processes and how they influence design (including co-bonded and co-cured structure)
- Preliminary and detailed design considerations, and how those designs are captured and queried in the CAD system
- Differences between material systems (sandwich-stiffened, thermoplastics and resin infusion to name a few)
- Techniques for composite structural optimization
- Case studies on specific applications of the above-mentioned areas; learnings during process development and production implementation are presented and discussed
Chris Hanson is a structural designer at the Boeing Company. As an associate technical fellow in Boeing’s Commercial Aircraft 777X organization, Hanson is a recognized expert in the design of composite structure, especially focused on optimization, CAD modeling and design/build coordination. He h...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.