Who should attend
This course is suitable for anyone who loves a challenge, enjoys problem solving, and wants to learn about advertising creative and strategic thinking, regardless of their level or past experience. It is open to a range of individuals, including:
- complete beginners who want to find out what advertising is
- students already on degree courses wishing to put together an advertising portfolio
- people in PR or marketing wishing to change or improve their job skills
- anarchic thinkers who want to explore the opportunities that new media offers
About the course
Advertising is changing. The lines drawn between graphic design and advertising, which were clear, are becoming blurred. The constant evolution of New Media platforms create an exciting culture for the budding graphic design / advertising creative. Each day of this lively and sociable practical course examines a different area of advertising, always in search of the ‘Big Idea’.
- We will interrogate contemporary advertising through a range of media from early terrestrial platforms to New Media /ambient/interactive.
- We will examine some of the diverse approaches taken to convey information for a wide range of products and services.
- The relationship between words and pictures is discussed, as well as the crafts employed in their production, such as photography, typography and the layout itself.
- Students initially will work on a series of short briefs and produce concept work to communicate their ideas effectively.
- A longer brief will be tackled to produce ideas and treatments that are more considered.
Dialogue between students is encouraged and pair-work will replicate the working practices in many advertising agencies, encouraging the exchange of ideas. Drawing skills are not a necessity for the course. The emphasis is on big ideas that engage us,'the consumers', in a stimulating and compelling way.
I am a senior lecturer here at Kingston University and also an art director. I approach my subject area very much from the perspective of a fine artist, as well as an idealist. I am a problem-solver by nature, driven by ideas and conceptual thinking. My previous experience includes at institut...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.