Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This course is intended for Operators, Engineers, Supervisors, Biologists, and others who may be involved in operating, supervising, designing, or monitoring wastewater treatment plants. It is also suited for anyone wishing to know more about how a wastewater treatment plant is run, or should be run. Delegates are encouraged to bring problems or challenges for group discussion and solutions. Individual problems will be given priority in problem solving.
About the course
This is a course about how to set up, analyze and run a wastewater treatment plant, whether it is municipal or industrial. It is complete review and teaches analysis and the use of models where appropriate to help analyze operations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Apply an advanced knowledge on sewage treatment and plant operation
- Analyze, Operate, and Troubleshoot wastewater treatment plants.
- Learn theory of operations as well as analysis tools and how and where models will be helpful.
- Learn to analyze poorly performing wastewater treatment works and make recommendations to correct and improve operations, including maintenance.
- Learn proper techniques for sludge digestion, alternatives to digestion, and sludge disposal.
- Pre Test
- The Basics: What Type of Plant do you have?
- A Critical Review of the types of wastewater treatment plants, and their highlights and lowlights.
- What’s in your permit?
- Types and kinds of permitting approaches.
- Flow measurement
- Wastewater Characteristics
- How to use the laboratory and what tests to run on the Influent
- Basics of Chemical dosages and calculations
- Chemical dosing
- Oxygen Transfer
- BOD, COD, TSS, VSS, tests and their meanings
- Plant Basics: and calculations and sizing
- Bar Screens
- Grit Chambers
- Primary Clarifiers
- Aeration Tanks
- Secondary Clarifiers
- Recirculating Pumps
- Secondary Clarifiers
- Filtration Systems
- Membrane Systems
- Disinfection Systems
- The River/Lake/Sea Environment and the impact of a discharge on it.
- Nitrogen Removal Systems
- Phosphorous Removal Systems & methods
- Aeration Systems
- Aeration Calculations
- What is MLSS and how does it affect my plant?
- Measuring MLSS
- Controlling MLSS
- High MLSS Problems & Solutions
- Low MLSS Problems & Solutions
- Membrane Systems and their use
- Clarifier Problems and their solutions
- Introduction to Microscopy and what it can tell you about the plant operations
- Types of problems microscopy can reveal and how to solve them
- Error Measurement and your permit- how reliable are your numbers?
- The chemistry of biological treatment
- Aerobic Digestion
- Anaerobic Digestion
- Operation, theory, and problems.
- Gas Production
- High vs Low rate digestion
- Sludge Handling and Disposal
- Plant Models and modeling as an assist to operations
- Plant Operations & Manpower Requirements
- Maintenance Frequencies
- Measurement and Statistical Considerations
- Error Analysis in measurements and calculations
- Permit Modification – how to approach
- Other Maintenance Issues
- Specific challenges and class problems
- Final Exam
- Presentation of Certificates