Who should attend
Directors, General Managers and senior organizational leaders who want to increase their knowledge in order to critically analyze business opportunities and challenges.
About the course
Progress your career by cultivating the hard skills of business
This fast-paced program provides an integrated understanding of the hard skills of business: financial management, operations, performance management, marketing and strategy. Get a holistic view of decision making in business and an advanced perspective on managing increasingly complex organizations. Increase your capabilities in a variety of business functions by engaging in applied, skill-building exercises.
Designed as a stand-alone program, Advanced Management Skills is also an invaluable next step for those who have taken our foundational program Essential Management Skills. Expand your executive potential, as award-winning faculty from the UBC Sauder School of Business challenge you to stretch beyond your current horizons.
- Appreciate the interrelationships between multiple functional areas
- Acquire new insights and perspectives, for a more sophisticated view of business complexities
- Deepen your understanding of analytical processes
- Improve the quality of your business decisions
- Evaluate business challenges and opportunities
- Cultivate a high-level strategic approach to business management
- Increase your skill set in a variety of areas
- Deliver value to your organization on many levels
- Learn from award-winning UBC Sauder School of Business MBA faculty
- Integrating your perspective on business
- Financial accounting: overview of balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements
- Operations: overview of operations management, managing business process flows and supply chains, increasing efficiency and lowering costs, resource management
- Performance management: best practices, connecting performance goals to competitive strategy, measuring performance, managing performance problems, the influence of compensation on performance
- Marketing: analyzing external and internal environments, segmenting customers, building value propositions and centering your market position, using the marketing mix
- Strategy: analyzing external forces that shape the marketplace, identifying your organization's true competitive advantage, aligning functional disciplines with corporate strategy
- Integration: putting it all together through action-learning exercises
Scott is a lecturer at the Sauder School of Business. He has been actively involved in professional accounting education for more than 30 years. He was the principal author for the CA School of Business in Western Canada between 2000 and 2010, and has won multiple awards for teaching excellence. ...
Research Interests Supply Chain Management Applied Game theory Inventory Management Selected Recent Publications "Stable Supplier Coalitions in Assembly Systems with Commodity Components". Co-authors: G. Sosic and C. Tong. Forthcoming in Operations Research. "Patient Prioritization in Emerge...
Perry is a lecturer in Strategy and Organizational Behaviour at the Sauder School of Business. He teaches courses on service management, employment relationships, organizational behaviour, strategy and marketing. He has led successful projects involving extremely diverse participants, and has for...
Danielle van Jaarsveld is an associate professor in the Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Division of the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia. She received her AB from Princeton University and a MS and PhD from the School of Industrial Relations, Cornell Univ...
Jenny is a Sessional Lecturer in the Marketing and Behavioural Science Division at the Sauder School of Business. Jenny has 17 years of experience in marketing at well known brands such as The Coca-Cola Company, Molson Coors, Aritzia as well as at other small businesses based in Vancouver.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.