Who should attend
- Managers who have been in the role for a short time and who need affirmation of existing competence
- More experienced managers looking to up-skill their current management practices
- Organisations that want to improve their management capability
- Participants who have attended our Management Fundamentals course seeking advanced management development opportunities
About the course
Build your management capability to better handle the challenges and issues you face to improve your performance.
Experienced managers are aware of their opportunities to become better managers. They also look for models and examples of best practice so they can better handle the challenges and issues they face in their role.
This short course has been developed to present management practices and explore, through cases and discussion, actions that managers can take to improve their own, their reports’ and their organisations’ performance.
The objective of the course is to affirm the good practices that participants are already using; but also for participants to understand when to seek expert help.
- A team review of the key aspect of being a manager and managing performance
- Understanding the role leadership adds to your management toolkit
- Appreciating the importance of strategy for developing your team and dealing with competition
- The use of process improvement tools to review what you and your team could do better
- The art of applying a consistent problem solving approach to address work challenges
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Raising awareness of legal aspects relevant to managers
- Discussion sessions focused on your current management issues
- Staff development and succession planning.
The course will be practically focused and will encourage you to develop action plans to implement your learnings and insights. Participants will have the opportunity to learn from each other and reflect on how they can manage more effectively.
- Gain confidence to use improved management practices
- Get greater direct staff involvement and ownership of results
- Understand the effect of your leadership behaviours
- Develop a performance based culture
- Select and coach staff effectively
Your organisation will:
- See improved management capability
- Achieve staff development aligned to the organisation’s strategy and objectives
- Gain competent and confident managers and staff
Jolyon Allen worked as a clinical psychologist and supervisor before spending ten years as Associate Director with KPMG Consulting (Organisation Development) followed by management consulting contracting. He currently consults to New Zealand companies in continuous improvement practices and staff...
Videos and materials
Read more about General Management Programs
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.