About the course
This advanced two-day seminar covers complex aspects of ASC 740 (the FASB standard for accounting for income taxes) by building upon our intermediate level seminar Accounting for Income Taxes. For example, the intermediate seminar only covers acquisitions with no tax-deductible goodwill, while this seminar covers tax-deductible goodwill, 338 elections, contingent consideration, transaction costs, and measurement period adjustments.
We endeavor to go beyond merely describing the technical requirements; we explain the rationale and the consequences of these standards as well as using clear examples with detailed journal entries.
The seminar has been updated to cover the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
- Intraperiod tax allocations: Discontinued operations; other comprehensive income; treatment of dangling OCI items after tax rate changes; items that go directly to paid-in capital
- Unrecognized tax benefits: Accrual of interest, UTBs that result in adjustments to NOLs, interaction with state taxes
- Valuation allowance: Interaction with business combinations, share-based compensation, discrete items, and intraperiod tax allocation
- Interim allocations: Out of period adjustments due to release of valuation allowance, unusual or infrequently occurring items, effect of rate changes
- Acquisitions with tax-deductible goodwill, Section 338 elections, contingent consideration, transaction costs, measurement period adjustments
- Share-based compensation: 162(m) issues, 83(b) elections, 409A issues, disqualifying dispositions, acquired share-based compensation
- Foreign operations: Remeasurements, translations, repatriation
- Intra-entity transactions: Change in basis
- Equity investments, joint ventures, non-controlling interest
- Intercorporate tax allocations: Separate-return method versus benefit-for-loss method
Dan is the founder of Almaris Consulting and Training. He brings in 25 years of extensive experience in consulting and training in accounting, financial statement analysis, business drivers, modeling. valuation, and credit risk analysis. He has worked with over numerous corporations, investment b...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.