This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
This course focuses on the writing skills needed by technical professionals to create documents which are easy to read, communicate information clearly, accurately, and concisely. It teaches a strategic approach to writing through analysis of the writing situation to determine how information is to be selected and organised to suit a particular audience, purpose, and situation.
Participants can expect to:
- Learn to write with the reader in mind
- Learn how to organise documents so that they are easy to read
- Create documents which are visually appealing
- Write clearly, concisely, and accurately without using technical jargon
- The technical writing process
- Reader-centred writing
- Effective style for technical writing
- Select appropriate organisational formats for different communicative situations
- Grammar essentials – types of nouns, verb forms, active and passive sentences
- Writing technical descriptions
- Writing clear instructions
- Explaining and defining
- Using plain English and avoiding jargon
- Design and use effective visuals
- Editing for clarity
- Draft effective abstracts, summaries and reports
Who should attend
Technical professionals who need to convey important ideas and information in writing.
Trust the experts
Dr Carmel Heah holds a PhD in Applied Linguistics from the University of Edinburgh in Britain. She teaches communication skills at the Language and Communication Centre, Nanyang Technological University. Dr Heah has more than 20 years’ experience teaching business and professional communication i...