Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
If you are a functional, specialist or mid-level manager who wants to develop a wider and deeper understanding of how a mining organization works and delivers value to its stakeholders, this programme is right for you.
About the course
Boost your career with the 5-day Mini MBA for the Mining Industry, ideal for managers and professionals who want to become great “all-round managers”.
What do you need to succeed as a Manager in the Mining Industry? To succeed as a manager, you need to have a solid understanding of all parts of the business. You need to know how each part and level in the organization interacts with each other and contributes to corporate success. It is no longer enough to just work effectively on your own; you also must work exceedingly well across the company.
So, how can you get this understanding and experience faster if you have a scientific, engineering, technical or specialist background?
- What tools do you need to understand what is driving your strategy?
- How can you align your contribution consistently to the organization’s strategy?
- How do you balance short term vs. long term when things are changing so quickly and so dramatically?
This Mining Industry course will help you address these challenges. The 5-Day Mini MBA for the Mining Industry is full of practical challenges to develop your management skills in Leadership, Strategy, Business Finance, Marketing, Economics and Operational Excellence.
Are you ready for the challenge?
Your immediate takeaway:
- Get a general overview of different organizational aspects (Leadership, Strategy, Execution and Marketing, Operational Excellence, International Managerial Economics and International Finance) of the Mining Industry
- Have a solid understanding of all parts of a business, and how each part and level in the organization interacts with each other and contributes to corporate success
- Return to work with more confidence to identify the best business and management strategic processes for your organization,
- Make more intelligent and rational decisions, and
- Ensure your strategic initiatives and goals are aligned.
This mining industry training course combines proven-by-practice methods with new insights and ideas that will grow your business skills. You will gain a wider perspective of management practice through breakout sessions, exercises, and case applications.
How will you benefit?
After participating in this mining industry course, you will grow your management and business skills and be able to:
- Understand how a company works with a multi-functional overview of the business and the key leadership competences needed
- Develop strategic thinking, planning and execution skills using the right tools and frameworks
- Influence, enable and deliver wider organizational objectives
- Make better business decisions and improve your contribution to the business
- Be able to assess the business environment and translate changes into competitive strategies for sustainable growth
- Support strategic goals from top management and be able to translate them for your area and implement them more efficiently
- Better implement strategy through the people in your team and different departments with new management and leadership skills
- Develop a specific learning plan on how to implement key learning aspects in your daily work
- Sharpen your business and collaboration skills by actively working in teams on business cases during the training
- Benefit from immediate feedback to help you deliver short term results within the context of long-term strategy.
During the programme you will:
- Network and learn with a diverse group of peers from different industries and countries in an international environment
- Develop a personal action plan to implement back at work
- Learn and practise new skills using real-business-world examples and exercises over 5 interactive days
What will you learn and practice?
The 5-Day Mini MBA for the Mining Industry is a 5-day hands-on training programme, highly interactive with exercises and role plays. The programme will be led by an experienced facilitator with former management experience in international companies.
5-Day Mini MBA for the Mining Industry Course Outline:
Pre-attendance Preparation The preparation includes the following:
- A self-assessment to measure your preferences in learning
- Pre-course reading including articles on the mining industry, leadership and more…
During the 5-Day Mini MBA for the Mining Industry: What will you learn and practice?
Day 1: Leadership Key leadership competences, self-profiling, reflection and feedback from facilitator and peers.
- Leadership competences and organizational success
- Leadership characteristics of successful leaders: Learning from the best
- Emotional intelligence and personal impact
- Leadership in a global context and in a VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous) world
- Leadership in a culturally diverse environment
- Leadership through disruptive change and innovation
- Evening work: reading
Day 2: Strategy & Marketing Building and Executing Strategy—Learn the fundamentals of marketing and sales that support business success
- Strategy roadmap and competitive strategy: The mining market and strategies of international mining companies
- Blue Ocean Thinking: A management method of creating business strategies based on the idea that every enterprise can achieve higher profit by creating new demand in non-competitive markets.
- Innovation and strategic agility
- Marketing and sales: Insight selling and negotiating to win
- Evening work: reading
Day 3: Operational Excellence
Select the right Organizational Design Technology trends in mining: Automation, robots, and IoT technology Manage projects and mining operations efficiently Manage and develop your staff and communicate across the organization Mining exploration, development and production Production contracts and projects: Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) strategies and contracting Financial Statements – Profit & Loss Statement (P&L)
Day 4: International Finance
- Understand mining finance basics
- International financial markets: Rules and principles of contracting
- Make better investment decisions
- Manage Joint Venture finance
- Final evening assignment (reading)
Day 5: International & Managerial Economics
- Geopolitics in the mining sectors
- Resource owners, mining contracts, tax regimes and local content
- International and managerial economics: Key social and economic phenomena, developments, and their impact on organizations and businesses
- Entering foreign markets: The 3 steps to enter foreign markets
- Bringing it all together: Your key learnings.
- Preparation for the Knowledge Test.
Post-Attendance The post-attendance activities contain the following:
- A knowledge test followed by a comprehensive implementation plan of your (3) major learnings.
- Participation in 2 post-programme group conference calls to support application, foster on-going learning and build a community of practice
- Q&A exchange via email for 3 months following the programme.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.